There have been quite a few horror stories in the news lately about toxic mold. We’ve heard about children falling dangerously ill and even about houses that were so full of mold they had to be burned to the ground. Are these stories exaggerated to make them more newsworthy? Or is toxic mold as severe a problem as we’ve been told?
Sadly, the facts about toxic mold are true. It can be extremely dangerous to humans and animals, especially with continuous exposure in a closed environment such as a house or office building. If a form of toxic mold is allowed to take hold in your home, it can send out dangerous spores called mycotoxins into your living environment. These toxins can result in serious health problems.
Some of the problems which have been associated with toxic mold exposure include respiratory illnesses, skin rashes, memory problems and even brain damage just to name a few.
So, how does toxic mold get into your home? Mold can grow in more places than you realize. Some common places where mold can thrive are air conditioning ducts, vinyl wall coverings, washing machines that do not have a drain below them, bathrooms which are not sufficiently ventilated, closets, trash cans, attics, carpets, and upholstery.
The best defense you have against any type of mold is knowledge. Be aware of how and where it can it can appear, measure and maintain the humidity in your home or office, and repair any water problems quickly. It’s also a very good idea to enlist the help of a professional. Consider a company certified in mold remediation. They can test for harmful mold spores as well as assisting you with treatment and clean-up. You will be able to take comfort in the knowledge that the air quality in your home or business has been tested and made safe for your family or your employees.