The scariest thing about mold is that it can happen anywhere. The only thing mold needs to grow is a tiny area with some warmth and moisture. From there, it can grow, thrive, and send out spores all over your home. Black mold is more toxic than some other forms of mold and has been linked to everything from respiratory disorders such as asthma and bronchitis, to being a contributing factor in some infant deaths.
Some of the symptoms of black mold exposure include difficulty concentrating, dizziness, infertility, nausea, and asthma. It is also an eye and skin irritant, and can cause everything from simple rashes to full-blown allergic reactions. The presence of any mold in a house, regardless of whether it is black mold or not, should be taken seriously. Allowing mold to continue growing increases your chance of exposure and raises your chances of experiencing the symptoms of black mold exposure.
To avoid black mold exposure, take preventative measures such as controlling the humidity levels in your home, ensuring you have adequate ventilation, add mold inhibitors to paint, and do not carpet your bathrooms.
If you experience the symptoms of black mold exposure, first seek medical attention and then concentrate on removing all traces of mold from your home. The best way to do this is to hire a company experienced in mold removal. Not only can they remove existing mold, but they can also help by educating you about other areas in your home which can potentially harbor mold. Prevention is the key to making sure that no one in your family risks being exposed to black mold.