When you bring out your holiday decorations this year, make sure that you take the opportunity to inspect the areas where they were stored for any traces of mold. Often, rarely used storage areas can be an ideal place for mold to grow.
Mold spores also love to grow on damp evergreens such as the trees, wreaths, and other evergreen decorations we bring into our homes this time of year. If you are decorating with live evergreens, make sure you look at them closely before bringing into your house. Many people often believe they are allergic to fresh evergreens when it is actually the mold spores clinging to the branches. Spraying the decorations down with a hose prior to bringing them in the house can help remove some of the spores.
If you are using artificial trees and wreaths, make sure they are stored in airtight containers in a dry area when not in use. If allowed to become damp, they can become a breeding ground for mold.
If you notice in increase in allergy symptoms after decorating your home for the holidays, it could be a result of mold spores in the air. To help combat the problem, do not keep your fresh tree up for more than fourteen days. You may also consider spraying it with a commercial fungicide prior to decorating to discourage any mold from growing. Using compressed air on the branches BEFORE bringing it inside is also effective at removing dust, pollen, and mold spores.