If you find mold in your home, one of the first questions you may have is whether or not it can make your family sick. Exposure to mold can cause reactions in some people, especially those who have an allergy to mold. The most common effects are allergic responses from breathing mold spores. These allergic responses include hay fever or asthma and irritation of the eyes, nose, throat or lungs. Allergic responses can come from exposure to dead as well as to living mold spores, which is why killing mold with something like bleach is not always 100% effective. Less common side effects can include compromised immune systems, gastrointestinal problems, migraines, and neurological problems.
The most common symptoms of mold exposure are:
• Nasal and sinus congestion
• Eye irritation, such as itchy, red, watery eyes
• Respiratory problems, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing
• Throat irritation
• Skin irritation, such as a rash
If you suspect that you may have a mold problem in your home, consider contacting a company that specializes in mold remediation. They can help you by removing the mold problem completely as well as preventing it from occurring again in the future.