Many people think that a little bit of mold in a house, especially an older house, is normal and not really a big deal. The truth of the matter is that mold can not only cause long term damage to your home, but it can be damaging to your health as well.
Most molds outdoors do not pose any serious problems. They serve an important role in nature, speeding the decomposition of things such as fallen trees, and dead plants and animals. However, when mold enters the home, it becomes a problem. Not only does it change the appearance of a home, but it can also damage the structural integrity as well as posing a health hazard. Just about everything in your home, from the glass windows to the wooden supports, drywall, carpets, curtains, doorknobs, and even the dust in your air ducts has organic materials on it. When provided with an ideal environment, namely dark and humid, mold digests organic materials and starts to spread.
When mold digests organic materials, it releases spores into the air to reproduce. It also releases a gaseous odor into the air, which it what causes the distinctive odor that generally accompanies mold. The odor can trigger allergic reactions immediately in those individuals who are sensitive to mold, and long term exposure can be dangerous for everyone.
If you find evidence of mold in your home, don’t wait to take action. Contact a company which specializes in mold remediation. They are equipped to inspect, treat, and remove mold as quickly and efficiently as possible. In addition, they will help you learn how to prevent mold in the future. Don’t gamble with your health or the integrity of your home, take action to fight mold right away.