In 2009, the World Health Organization (WHO) issued guidelines on mold exposure, citing numerous studies linking mold to a variety of conditions including asthma, sinusitis, and allergic reactions. This served to underscore how serious continued exposure to mold can be. There have been numerous studies proving there is sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory symptoms in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in those suffering from asthma; and cases of pneumonia in individuals with compromised or weakened immune symptoms.
With all this information, it is not surprising that homeowners are becoming more aware of the problems associated with mold. According to the EPA, there is no one particular type of mold; there are over 100,000 different types that can emit thousands of different microtoxins and spores, which can often affect the health of anyone living in the environment. Given that the problems linked to exposure can be so serious, homeowners today are understandably concerned.
The best defense against a mold problem is to prevent it from happening in the first place, and prevention requires knowledge. It is important to know where mold is most likely to form and to be aware of steps that can be taken to prevent it. Often, it is something as simple as adding additional ventilation or light to a room in order to prevent mold growth. Kitchens and bathrooms are extremely vulnerable when it comes to mold. Look behind and underneath drawers, and inside of the cabinets for signs of any moisture. Once mold infests a home, it can be troublesome and expensive to remove.
If you are unsure if your home is at risk, don’t wait until it is too late to find out. Being proactive will ultimately be easier and less expensive than trying to deal with the problem later on. Taking the time now to enlist the help of an expert can save you time, money, and headaches down the line.