If you have an allergy that never ends when seasons change, you may be allergic to the spores of molds or other fungi. Molds live everywhere, and disturbing a mold source can disperse the spores into the air.
Inhaling mold spores causes allergic reactions in many people. These range from bothersome hay fever type symptoms to serious health problems. Allergy symptoms from mold are most common from July through late summer. But, with mold growing in so many places, allergic reactions can happen year round.
It is common for people to get mold allergy if they or other family members are allergic to substances such as pollen or animal dander. People may become allergic to only mold or fungi, or they may also have problems with dust mites, pollens and other spores. If you are allergic to only fungi, it is unlikely that you would be bothered by all fungi. The different types of fungi spores have only limited similarities.
Using a central air conditioning with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) filter attachment can help, but no air filter will be truly effective if excess moisture remains. If indoor humidity is above 50 percent, risks of fungus growth rise steeply. The goal is to maintain a humidity level in your home of less than 50 percent. Using a dehumidifier can help, but be sure to clean them often as they can become a mold source themselves.