Mold is found nearly everywhere in the world and it does serve a vital role in helping to keep the earth clean. Outdoor mold growth assists with decomposition of plants and animals and is generally kept in check by temperature and natural light. However when mold finds it way inside your home, problems soon arise.
Inside your home or office building, all it takes is darkness and a small amount of moisture for mold spores to take hold and quickly grow into a large colony. From there, fungal spores are distributed throughout the building via the HVAC systems, where they land on food and are ingested or breathed in by the occupants.
While not all mold varieties are toxic, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that at least 500 of the known species of mold are harmful to humans. These species have been classified as allergenic, pathogenic, and toxigenic, meaning they all affect health to some degree. Health effects can include everything from mild allergic reaction to severe neurological problems and everything in between.
Some of the signs of mold growth include a musty odor, visible growth on walls, foundations, or floors, and allergic reactions. Some symptoms may occur long before the odor or visible growth appears, which makes it critical that you take action even if you don’t actually see mold. If your family members or employees are experiencing an increase in allergic reactions, it could be the result of mold. Have a professional experienced in mold remediation perform an inspection of your home or business. Taking quick action will allow you to stop the problem before it becomes any worse.