Mold is a fungus that thrives indoors and outdoors in moist environments. Indoor mold grows on virtually all surfaces as long as there is sufficient moisture for it to survive. Mold reproduces rapidly by way of spores. Mold buildup often causes allergic reactions in people who come into physical contact with it or breathe mold floating in the air. Mold exposure has been linked to numerous medical conditions ranging from allergies and headaches to more severe illnesses.
In addition to the numerous health issues connected to mold exposure, there is another reason why it is so critical to take swift action to remove any traces of mold in your home. Mold deteriorates the surfaces on which it grows, and will permanently damage and, if left unchecked, ultimately destroy building materials such as drywall, wood, and wood-based products.
The first sign that you may have a mold problem is generally a musty odor somewhere in the home. Other signs that may indicate a mold infestation are water spots on ceilings or walls, damp carpet, or peeling wallpaper.
Your first action should be to locate and eliminate the source of the moisture which is allowing the mold to grow. This step is absolutely critical. This is where a professional mold remediation specialist can really help. The sources of moisture may not always be obvious, and a company which specializes in mold remediation is well equipped to help locate and correct any hidden sources of moisture. Once that has been done, they can assist with the clean-up and mold removal, and you will have the peace of mind that comes from knowing your home is free of mold.