Just how harmful is mold exposure? It can sometimes be difficult for people to get the facts from the stories that make the headlines, as those are generally about extreme toxic mold cases. For instance, there have been reports of new homes built with poor quality materials which allowed mold to grow, resulting in the entire home being infested and having to be destroyed. Those cases do definitely happen, but it can be easy to disregard that as the exception, not the norm.
What is certain is this-mold exposure is dangerous to humans and animals. For those individuals who are sensitive to mold, even strains generally considered to be non-toxic can create a host of respiratory problems including allergies, sinusitis, congestion, and asthma. When you’re dealing with a strain of mold which is toxigenic (meaning they produce toxins), everyone can suffer as a result of being exposed. Exposure to these strains has been linked to numerous health problems, some of which can be extremely dangerous. The toxins released by certain strains of mold can affect the immune system, the nervous system, the respiratory system, the gastrointestinal system, and the skin. In severe cases, neurological problems may arise as well.
Some of the more common symptoms of mold exposure include sneezing and congestion, skin rashes, headaches, sore throat, and fatigue. In overly-sensitive individuals, or in extreme mold infestations, people may also experience memory loss, dizziness, extremity pain, hair loss, anxiety, and a host of other problems.
If you suspect mold in your home or office, don’t wait to take action. Contact a company experienced in mold remediation and have them perform an inspection.